Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS)
Local Police Departments Personnel, 2020
2023 Law Enforcement Management and Statistics Supplement
FY2021 Census of Law Enforcement Training Academies
Sworn law enforcement officers generally receive training throughout their careers, beginning with basic training for entry-level recruits, followed by in-service training. Basic law enforcement training academies are operated by state-level organizations such as—
- Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) entities
- state police or highway patrols
- local law enforcement agencies such as sheriff’s offices and county or municipal police departments
- and academic institutions such as 2-...
BJS collects data on agency characteristics through two core law enforcement agency surveys: the Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies (CSLLEA) and the Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS) survey.
- CSLLEA collects the number of sworn and civilian personnel by state and type of agency for all publicly funded state, county, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies in the United States. Data...
Law enforcement describes the agencies and employees responsible for enforcing laws, maintaining public order, and managing public safety. The primary duties of law enforcement include the investigation, apprehension, and detention of individuals suspected of criminal offenses. Some law enforcement agencies, particularly sheriffs' offices, also have a significant role in the detention of individuals convicted of criminal offenses.
BJS maintains several national data collections, covering federal...
Local Police Departments: Policies and Procedures, 2016
Sheriffs' Offices: Policies and Procedures, 2016
Public Comments Requested on the Proposed Reinstatement and Update of BJS Data Collection: 2020 Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS) Survey
BJS encourages comments for 60 days until May 12, 2020, on the proposed reinstatement and update of a previously approved data collection: 2020 Law Enforcement Management and Administrative Statistics (LEMAS) survey. Your comments on BJS's request to the Office of Management and Budget, which is published in the Federal Register, should address points such as—
- whether the proposed data collection is necessary, including whether...