- Federal Criminal Case Processing Statistics (FCCPS) Tool 2019 update
- Employment of Persons Released from Federal Prison in 2010
- Probation and Parole in the United States, 2020
- Profile of Prison Inmates, 2016
- Prisoners in 2020 – Statistical Tables
- Jail Inmates in 2020 – Statistical Tables
- Capital Punishment, 2020 – Statistical Tables
This report fulfills a congressional mandate in the Fair Chance to Compete for Jobs Act, part of the 2019 Defense Reauthorization Act (P.L. 116–92, Title XI, Subtitle B, Section 1124). Congress tasked BJS and the U.S. Census Bureau with reporting on post-prison employment of persons released from federal prison...
The number of prisoners under sentence of death declined for the 20th consecutive year
- After peaking at 3,601 at yearend 2000, the number of prisoners under sentence of death declined for the 20th consecutive year.
- At yearend 2020, the number of prisoners under sentence of death had declined to 2,469, the lowest level since 1991 (2,465 prisoners under sentence of death).
- The number of prisoners removed from under sentence of death annually has outpaced the number received under sentence of death since 2001.
- In 2020, seven states received 14 prisoners under sentence of death, the smallest annual number reported since the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated capital punishment statutes in several states in 1972 (see Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 (1972)).