Description of original award (Fiscal Year 2010, $2,000,000)
The NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007, Pub. L. 110-180 ("NICS Improvement Act"), was signed into law by the President on January 8, 2008. The NICS Improvement Act amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 ("the Brady Act") (Pub. L. 103-159), under which the Attorney General established the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The Brady Act requires Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to contact the NICS before transferring a firearm to an unlicensed person for information on whether the proposed transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing a firearm under state or federal law. The NICS Improvement Act authorizes grants to be made in a manner consistent with the National Criminal History Improvement Program (NCHIP).
The Oregon State Police (OSP) will use funds to carry out the following tasks:
1) Conduct an OSP NICS Record analysis to reconcile originating agency records to the state repository in an effort to get subject records of prohibited individuals into the NICS;
2) Convert 4.6 million microfiche images to OSP's Laserfiche electronic document imaging system to provide for more efficient access and retrieval of images in order to conduct searches on firearm purchases and ensure accuracy of records;
3) Purchase and install livescan devices to submit arrest charges for both felony and misdemeanor arrests to the state and federal record systems, as well as capture palm prints to submit with each booking;
4) Establish a means of capturing and reporting disposition records from municipal and justice courts throughout the state;
5) Convert 436,000 fingerprint cards to the current National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) platform;
6) Improve submission of no contact orders to the Law Enforcement Data System (LEDS) and to NCIC;
7) Enhance LEDS certification process and ensure it meets FBI standards; and
8) Maintain a relief from disabilities program, and related records, as needed to comply with the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007.