- FY 2022 Current Solicitations
- Tribal Crime Data Collection Activities, 2022
- Federal Deaths in Custody and During Arrest, 2020 – Statistical Tables
- Indicators of Workplace Violence, 2019
- Report on Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2021
- Violent Victimization by Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity, 2017–2020
- PREA Data Collection Activities, 2022
- Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program, 2021
This report is the 12th in a series that began in 2011. It fulfills the requirement of the Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010 to report annually on BJS's activities to establish and enhance a tribal crime data collection system. The report highlights data collections that...
Number of persons under the supervision of adult correctional systems in the United States, 2010–2020
- At yearend 2020, an estimated 5,500,600 persons were under the supervision of adult correctional systems in the United States, 11% fewer than at the same time the previous year (adjusted for persons on dual correctional statuses).
- The decline in the correctional population in 2020 was due to decreases in both the community supervision population (down 276,700 or 6.6%) and the incarcerated population (down 294,400 or 18.9%).
- About 1 in 47 adult U.S. residents (2.1%) were under some form of correctional supervision at the end of 2020, a decrease from 1 in 40 (2.5%) at the end of 2019.
- About 7 in 10 persons under correctional supervision were supervised in the community (3,890,400) at yearend 2020, while about 3 in 10 (1,691,600) were incarcerated in a state or federal prison or local jail.
Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics, Correctional Populations in the United States, 2020 – Statistical Tables (NCJ 303184, BJS, March 2022)